COVID-19 genomic surveillance
|What is the current capacity for next-generation sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 globally? Where do we need to focus capacity building efforts in order to improve coverage of SARS-CoV-2 genomic data in LMICs?
FIND has carried out a systematic mapping of existing global capacity for SARS-CoV-2 genomic surveillance and developed a framework to classify countries into different archetypes based on diagnostic testing capacity, NGS capacity and ongoing in-country SARS‑CoV‑2 sequencing. The capacity mapping data can be visualized through an interactive dashboard, built in partnership with The Rockefeller Foundation. Read more on the capacity mapping methodology and proposed country classification framework HERE.
The interactive NGS capacity map can also be accessed directly via the dashboard below.
Click HERE to view in full screen.
|How are LMICs being supported in their efforts to enhance sequencing capacity for COVID-19 genomic surveillance? To answer this, FIND gathered input from Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator Diagnostics Pillar partners to assess the extent of partner support being provided globally.|
Page last updated 13 Apr 2022
- US CDC: New COVID-19 Variants
- WHO : SARS CoV-2 Variants
- Africa CDC: Statement on new SARS-CoV-2 variant with multiple spike protein mutations
- ECDC: Risk related to spread of new SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern in the EU/EEA
- UK Gov: COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2): information about the new virus variant
- Public Health England: New evidence on VUI-202012/01 (slide set)
- Network for genomic surveillance in South Africa
- Q&A about the new Covid-19 variant in South Africa
- COVID-19 diagnostics hub